Friday 6 May 2011

Point Reyes National Seashore

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking here, except for this little introduction.

When we left Santa Rosa at half 10, it was sunny and starting to get hot, hence the decision to wear shorts, a vest top and flip-flops. Mistake. Point Reyes was about 12 degrees C and blowing a hooley. So I had to improvise. Luckily, I'd packed my Converse into the car and my hoodie and waterproof coat were in the boot. So that just left my legs as the problem. Behold the solution: proof that one should always carry legwarmers, whatever the weather.


And now for the main event(s).





We'd read that there were seals but we weren't holding up hopes of seeing any. So I was much excited when I spotted this eensy collection from a viewpoint. There they are, just there.


Just down the coast and hang on a minute....


SEALS!! SEALS!! Many, many elephant seals! "Awrrp awrrp," I cried, scurringing down the trail. "AWRRP!"


They were amazing!! And the noises they made were awesome. Not just your usual 'awrrp, awrrp' that I'd been calling. More like groans and grunts and burps. Brilliant! Loved every second of experiencing these blubbery animals.

Want to know the difference between seal lions and elephant seals? Well, sea lions have external ear flaps and four flippers that they 'walk' across the shore with. Seals have 'ear holes' but no ear flaps and they use their front flippers and their bellies to flop along the sand. Marine mammal fact.

Bloody brilliant day.

No comments:

Post a Comment